The Peel Web
I am happy that you are using
this web site and hope that you found it useful. Unfortunately, the cost of
making this material freely available is increasing, so if you have
found the site useful and would like to contribute towards its continuation,
I would greatly appreciate it. Click the button to go to Paypal and make a
- The basic mission for which the police exist is
to prevent crime and disorder.
- The ability of the police to perform their duties
is dependent upon public approval of police actions.
- Police must secure the willing co-operation of the public in voluntary observance
of the law to be able to secure and maintain the respect of the public.
- The degree of co-operation of the public that can be secured diminishes
proportionately to the necessity of the use of physical force.
- Police seek and preserve public favour not by catering to public opinion
but by constantly demonstrating absolute impartial service to the law.
- Police use physical force to the extent necessary to secure observance of
the law or to restore order only when the exercise of persuasion, advice and
warning is found to be insufficient.
- Police, at all times, should maintain a relationship with the public that
gives reality to the historic tradition that the police are the public and
the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who
are paid to give full-time attention to duties which are incumbent on every
citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence.
- Police should always direct their action strictly towards their functions
and never appear to usurp the powers of the judiciary.
- The test of police efficiency is the absence of crime and disorder, not
the visible evidence of police action in dealing with it.
Return to Police and Prisons
|Meet the web creator
These materials may be freely used for
non-commercial purposes in accordance with applicable statutory allowances
and distribution to students.
Re-publication in any
form is subject to written permission.
26 October, 2013